Sciatica Treatment in Grand Rapids
When you notice pain in your lower back, it may relate to the sciatic nerve. By working with a Grand Rapids chiropractor, you address the cause of sciatica and encourage your body to heal and recover.
Signs and Symptoms of Sciatica
Sciatica in Grand Rapids stems from pressure or an injury to the sciatic nerve in your lower back. Identifying the signs and symptoms of the pain helps a professional clarify the situation and address the underlying factors causing your discomfort.
Common symptoms of sciatica include:
- Back pain, particularly in your lower back
- Leg pain
- Radiating pain from your back to your legs
- Tingling and numbness in the lower back and legs
When you notice the pain, you want to work with a professional to address the underlying causes of your discomfort. The reasons for your pain may depend on various situations and factors, so you want to discuss the situation with a professional to clarify your treatment needs.
Causes of Sciatica
The causes of sciatica depend on your activities and lifestyle. It may stem from multiple factors, so a professional evaluates your symptoms and the severity of your discomfort before working on a customized treatment solution.
Common reasons for sciatica include:
- Degenerative disc conditions
- An injury to the sciatic nerve in the lower back, or an injury to the lumbar region of the back
- Joint dysfunction in the area around the sciatic nerve
- Injuries from an accident, which may cause pain in the lower back and other complications
- A bulging disc in the lower back
- Lifestyle factors, such as poor posture or sitting at a desk job without proper stretches and breaks
Treating sciatica starts with clarifying the cause of your discomfort. Since it may stem from injuries, conditions in your back or lifestyle factors, a chiropractor clarifies the situation before developing a strategy for your back pain.
Treatment from a Chiropractor in Grand Rapids
Treatment from a chiropractor in Grand Rapids starts with clarifying the severity of your symptoms and the factors contributing to the pressure on your nerve. We may recommend an adjustment to your back to improve the function of your spine or to address specific conditions and factors causing your pain. For example, an adjustment may help with a bulging disc. We also recommend massage therapy to help with the tension in your muscles while your back heals.
Treating sciatica allows your body to heal and recover from the pain. A Grand Rapids chiropractor in our clinic focuses on helping your body heal and providing the care you need to recover from sciatica. To learn more about treatment strategies for back pain or for an appointment, call (616) 432-3103 today.